FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Hialeah Park Race Track, which opened Jan. 25, 1925, and was closed for two years during World War II, was the site of many racing firsts. It was the first track in this country to feature a turf course and the first major track at which a female jockey, Diane Crump in 1969, was allowed to compete against males. In its day, Hialeah Park was one of America’s most important, and most spectacular, race tracks, built to the finest and highest standards of architecture and landscape design — a place of glamour, status and astounding beauty. Over the years, it was host to some of the nation’s greatest horses — Seabiscuit, Citation and Seattle Slew among them — and at one point, it was designated a wildlife sanctuary for its famous flock of flamingos. In recent time Hialeah Park lost its preeminency as a race track. Its last races were run in 2001.